Family Law
Adoption & CAS


In Ontario anyone who wants to adopt a child must be able to raise that child in a good and loving home. There are certain steps you need to take to find out if you qualify. There are different types of adoption that are listed below:

1. Private Adoption - means when you hire a private adoption agency to find a child. In these types of situations parents are unable to raise their child for various reasons and decide that adoption is their best option for their child.

2. International Adoption - means when you adopt a child or a relative from another country. This adoption process is very complex and you will need a lawyer to assist you.

Adopting a family member - means when someone in your family can no longer care for their child and you want to adopt that child ("relative adoption") or you have remarried and want to adopt your step-child. You do not have to be related to the child by blood.

In many cases a domestic adoption is related to the Children’s Aid Societies (CAS).


The Children’s Aid Societies (CAS)

The Children's Aid Societies (CAS) is the Canadian solution to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, Article 9 which stated that: “Every child and youth has a right to live with their families, except when it is not in their best interests”.

The Children's Aid Societies (CAS) of Ontario, Canada, are independent organizations empowered by the Ontario government to perform child protection services. They have a lot of power and can take your child(ren) away at their own discretion. They are there to only protect the interests of the child(ren) and not yours. There job duties include:

  1. investigate reports or evidence of abuse or neglect of children under the age of 16 or in the society's care or supervision and, where necessary, take steps to protect the children;

  2. care for and supervise children who come under their care or supervision;

  3. counsel and support families for the protection of children or to prevent circumstances requiring the protection of children; and

  4. place children for adoption.

Because of the seriousness of the situation, you are highly recommended to get a lawyer involved as soon as CAS get involved.

HTW Law can help. Call us now at 647-849-6582 or send us a message if you have some legal questions / inquiries or want to schedule an appointment with HTW Law.


© 2020 by HTW Law Professional Corporation.

  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
bbb logo - HTW Law